At Ares, we believe that integrating environmental, social and corporate governance factors in our investment and portfolio management processes leads to superior investment outcomes. Whether it’s protecting and growing the capital of our Limited Partners, creating long-term value for our shareholders or aligning our interests with business partners, we are committed to supporting sustainable practices that generate positive environmental and social impact – not just now, but for years to come.
Our ESG policy is based on the six United Nations Principles for Responsible Investment (UNPRI) and applies to all asset classes, industries and countries in which Ares invests.
As part of the firm’s commitment to prioritizing ESG values, Ares announced a strategic partnership with
Volery Capital Partners in May 2019, under which Ares became a minority shareholder of Volery and agreed to provide capital to support the firm’s operating and investment activities. Volery is a private equity firm that provides growth equity and strategic support to leading investment managers that generate positive environmental and social impact. Capital allocations to both sustainable and impact investments are growing globally, and Volery and Ares believe that there is significant opportunity to establish the leading growth equity platform supporting impact- and sustainability-focused asset managers. Volery’s investment strategy will create exposure to this secular growth and demonstrate that strong financial returns and positive impact can be mutually reinforcing.
Our ESG Policy
Our ESG policy requires that Ares take the following actions, as appropriate:
- Incorporate ESG considerations during the investment process.
- Encourage the companies in which we invest to consider relevant ESG issues.
- Remain committed to compliance with applicable national, state, and local labor laws in the jurisdictions in which we invest.
- Respect the human rights of those affected by our investment activities.
- Seek to use governance structures that provide appropriate levels of oversight in the areas of audit, risk management and potential conflicts of interest.
- Continue to maintain strict policies that prohibit bribery and other improper payments to public officials consistent with the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and similar laws in other jurisdictions in which it invests.
- Continue to enhance our ESG disclosure.
Learn More About
our ESG Efforts
Our commitment to ESG extends to our people and our communities:
Inclusion and Diversity Initiatives
We embrace our differences and offer a multitude of programs and policies that support our diverse workforce and enrich our work environment.
We partner with charitable organizations to make an impact in our communities.
UK Modern Slavery
Act 2015 and UK
In compliance with the UK Modern Slavery Act 2015, Ares Management Limited has published its annual Modern Slavery Act Statement, setting out the steps it has taken to endeavor to ensure that slavery and human trafficking are not taking place in its business and supply chains. Click here for the Modern Slavery Act Statement.
Given Ares’ investment focus away from traditional equities, there is limited direct applicability of the UK Stewardship Code to the Firm; however, Ares has adopted this Stewardship Code Disclosure Statement, applying the principles of the Code, where appropriate, to its investment groups. Click here to see UK Stewardship Code Disclosure Statement.